To pack this for lunch, wrap the pita pockets separately, and fill them with the salad just before serving. Or enjoy the chopped salad on its own with a bowl of soup for dinner.
Note: Pepperoncini are thin, small pickled chile peppers that range in spiciness from medium to medium-hot. Look for them in the Italian section of large supermarkets.
30 minutes or fewer
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoncini, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives, preferably kalamata
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 6-inch whole wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 6 curly leaf lettuce leaves
Combine cucumber, bell pepper, zucchini, feta, onion, pepperoncini, olives, oil, lemon juice, vinegar and oregano in large bowl, and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
Line each pita half with a lettuce leaf; fill with 1/2 cup salad mixture.
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 410 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g