These pitas are wonderful served with a side dish of pasta, tossed with a little lemon-infused olive oil and garlic.
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced in wedges
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 2 medium yellow or green bell peppers, seeded and sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 large firm ripe tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup Greek or kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 large pitas
- 2 oz. feta cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat pitas in oven until warmed through.
2. In large nonstick wok or skillet, heat oil over high heat.
3. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and garlic, and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato, olives, and oregano. Continue to stir often, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place warm pitas on individual plates. Divide vegetable mixture into equal portions, and place each inside pita pocket to make a sandwich. Sprinkle each sandwich with crumbled feta cheese, and serve hot. Alternatively, place peppers in baking dish, and sprinkle with feta. Microwave until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Serve with or without pita bread.
- Calories: 335
- Carbohydrate Content: 68 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 586 mg