Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Shallot crisps are the star attraction here and can be made in advance. In a tightly sealed jar, they will keep at room temperature for 2 weeks—but you’d better hide the jar.
1. To make Shallot Crisps: Spread shallot rings on paper towel, sprinkle with salt, and cover with another paper towel. Let stand 10 minutes. Blot excess moisture from shallots.
2. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, and fry 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
3. Pour shallots and oil through fine mesh strainer, or remove shallots with slotted spoon. Spread shallots on paper towels to drain and cool. Discard oil. Store shallots in jar, if desired.
4. To make Green Beans: Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water 5 to 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil, and maple syrup in serving bowl. Add green beans, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Top with Shallot Crisps and chopped walnuts, and serve.
- Calories 253
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 291 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g