For ages, Southwestern cooks have been adding a spicy touch to this much-loved classic. Jalapeno-spiked soy ||cheese|| and a little chipotle chili to lend great flavor as well as pleasant heat. The texture and taste of fresh bread crumbs more than make up for the small effort required.
- 8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- 2 slices white bread, coarsely torn
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 scallion (white and light green parts), finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 5 oz. jalapeno soy cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups )
Coat 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Preheat broiler. Bring medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, whirl bread to coarse crumbs. Transfer to small bowl. Stir in cilantro, salt and mustard and set aside.
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, chipotle and scallion and cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring, until mixture is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in 1/4 cup soy milk until no lumps remain. Stir in another 1/2 cup milk until smooth, then remaining 3/4 cup milk. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mixture boils gently and thickens enough to leave a track on bottom of pot behind spoon, about 2 minutes. Stir in "cheese" just until melted. Stir in macaroni until coated.
Transfer macaroni mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Broil just until top is browned, about 1 1/2 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning. Serve hot.
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 16 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 745 mg