Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These green corn tamales are delicious with Roasted Fennel Pibil with Habañero-Lime Onions, or you can serve them with sour cream and pico de gallo, a fresh salsa-like condiment made with chopped tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
- Simmer corn husks in large pot of boiling water 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and weight husks with plate to keep submerged. Soak 1 hour, or until pliable.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add corn and cream, and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Cool. Stir in baking powder and grits. Chill.
- Drain corn husks on paper towels. Make ties for tamales by cutting 2 or 3 husks into thin strips.
- Spread 3 Tbs. filling down center of each corn husk. Fold over sides, then ends to enclose filling. Tie husk strips securely around tamales.
- Line steamer basket with remaining corn husks, and place over simmering water. Add tamales, and steam over low heat 1 hour. Remove from steamer, and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
You might also like these Vegetarian Tamales
- Calories 109
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 27 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g