30 minutes or fewer
Here's a vibrantly colored, fresh-tasting soup that's cool, creamy and a cinch to make. Use a teaspoon to easily scoop out seeds from cucumber quarters. MEAL PLAN: Place bowls of shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar or soy cheese, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, salsa and yogurt or soy yogurt on the table. Have everyone make his or her own wraps, using large flour tortillas.
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved
- 6 leaves lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cups buttermilk, plus additional if needed
- 4-oz. can chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Reserve about half of 1 cucumber and half of the bell pepper and finely dice. Set aside for garnish (or refrigerate if not serving soup right away).
Coarsely chop remaining cucumbers and bell pepper; transfer to food processor or blender. Add lettuce, scallions and cilantro and process until pureed with some texture remaining. Transfer to large serving container.
Stir in buttermilk, chilies, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper, adding more buttermilk if needed to achieve a slightly thick consistency. Serve immediately or cover and chill until needed. Just before serving, sprinkle with reserved diced cucumber and bell pepper.
- Calories: 123
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 469 mg