Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. leeks (white and pale green parts), well rinsed and diced (4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 Tbs. water
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup small pasta shapes
- 1 19-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup fresh or frozen small green peas
- 1 cup fresh asparagus, diagonally sliced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks, carrots and water. Cover and cook until the leeks are very tender, about 15 minutes. Do not brown.
Add 6 cups of broth and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans, green beans, zucchini, peas and asparagus. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
In small bowl, mix parsley, basil, green onions and garlic. Stir into simmering soup. Add additional broth to thin soup if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with grated Parmesan if desired.
- Calories 397
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g