30 MINUTES OR LESSSubstantial enough for a luncheon main course, this delicately seasoned soup pairs well with grilled cheese squares or fruit muffins. Fruit juice and fig bars make a perfect dessert.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups nonfat vegetable broth
- 2 lb. green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 8-oz. container vegan sour cream
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 2 cups (3.5 oz.) coarsely crushed sweet potato chips
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add shallots, and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat in large saucepan, and add peas. Return to a boil, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Set 1 cup cooked peas aside. Place remaining peas and broth in blender or food processor. Add shallots, sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and process until smooth. Add basil, and process again.
Return puréed peas to saucepan, and stir with remaining 1 cup whole peas. Reheat. Ladle into individual soup bowls, sprinkle sweet potato chips on soup and serve.
When pairing this soup with wine, focus on the creamy texture and on the basil. Both add heft and richness to the finished dish, which should be accented by your choice of wine. Try a Chardonnay that is somewhat rich but not too toasty, such as Callaway Coastal Winery Coastal Chardonnay.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 350 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g