Grilled Cheese with Fig and Basil
Fresh basil and fig preserves transform good ol’ grilled cheese into a sophisticated sandwich. Honey-lovers will like this recipe as is; others may prefer the less-sweet honey-free rendition.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 4 oz. chevre (soft goat cheese)
- 1 Tbs. honey, optional
- 8 thin slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 tsp. minced fresh basil
- 2 Tbs. fig preserves
1. Combine chèvre and honey, if using, in bowl, and mix until well blended. Spread about 1 Tbs. mixture on each of 4 bread slices; top with 1/2 tsp. basil each. Spread remaining slices of bread with 1 1/2 tsp. fig preserves. Close sandwiches, and lightly coat both sides with cooking spray.
2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches to skillet. Place heavy skillet or pot on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until bread is lightly toasted (leave skillet or pot on sandwiches while they cook). Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve warm.
- Calories 280
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 320 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g