For a more exotic appearance, instead of putting a dollop of yogurt on top of the soup, try making a swirl. Spoon yogurt into small plastic bag, seal and snip off bottom corner. Squeeze bag to swirl yogurt over soup. Cut through swirl with a toothpick or sharp knife to create a ripple effect.
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 medium red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 lbs.), peeled
- 1 ripe medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or plain soy yogurt
1. Prepare charcoal grill, preheat gas grill to medium or see variation at end of recipe and skip to step 4.
Grill bell peppers, skin side down, until skins are charred, about 10 minutes. Place in large bowl and cover with plate; let stand 20 minutes. (Alternatively, place peppers in small paper bag. Close securely and let steam.) When cool enough to handle, peel off charred skins and discard. Set peppers aside.
Cut eggplant into 1⁄2-inch rounds. Grill until flesh is tender, about 4 minutes per side.
Transfer peppers and eggplant to food processor. Add tomato and broth and process until smooth. Strain through fine-mesh sieve into large saucepan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm or chilled. Ladle soup into shallow bowls and swirl or spoon yogurt over each serving.
Variation: To make this soup without firing up the grill, preheat oven to 400°F and roast quartered bell peppers, skin side up, until skins are wrinkled and lightly colored, about 30 minutes. Place in large bowl and cover with plate; let steam 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off charred skins and discard; transfer peppers to blender or food processor. Meanwhile, pierce whole, unpeeled eggplant in several places and roast until flesh is tender and skin is shriveled, about 40 to 50 minutes. Slice in half and scoop out flesh into blender or food processor.
- Calories: 127
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 117 mg