The sauce duo gives this dish an elegant burst of contrasting color, but you could keep it easy and whip up just one sauce—you'll still have plenty for dipping.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, such as Vegenaise
Smoky Red Pepper Purée
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. agave nectar or honey
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 lb. green asparagus (24 to 30 medium-size spears), trimmed
- 1 1/2 lb. white asparagus (24 to 30 medium-size spears), trimmed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil or vegetable oil
To make Aioli:
1. Chop garlic on cutting board; add salt, and mash into fine paste with side of knife. Whisk together garlic and oil in small bowl. Whisk in mayonnaise.
To make Smoky Red Pepper Purée:
2. Purée peppers, agave nectar, oil, and paprika in blender or food processor until smooth, adding 2 to 3 Tbs. water, if needed, to obtain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
To make Grilled Asparagus:
3. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss asparagus with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Grill asparagus 4 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and soft, turning once.
4. Arrange asparagus on platter, and garnish with lemon wedges and a drizzle of Aioli and Smoky Red Pepper Purée. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Calories: 257
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 432 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g