This easy no-toss salad is elegant enough for special occasions. Though the romaine hearts must be eaten shortly after grilling, the dressing can be made up to two days in advance. The recipe calls for a stove-top grill pan, but you can also try it on an outdoor grill—just keep a close eye on the romaine hearts, since outdoor grills get hotter than the stove-top variety.
- 1/2 cup prepared nonfat balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 hearts of romaine (4 oz. each), rinsed and patted dry
1. Whisk together balsamic vinaigrette, shallots, 1 Tbs. oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Let stand a few minutes to allow sugar to dissolve. Whisk again, and set aside 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
2. Meanwhile, heat stove-top grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush romaine hearts on all sides with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Grill 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly charred on the outside but not heated through, turning frequently with tongs. Transfer each romaine heart to salad plate, and drizzle with 2 Tbs. balsamic-shallot vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 135
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 760 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g