Panini are great cookout fare because they can be made ahead, then pressed on the grill with a few bricks wrapped in foil. If the only Provolone cheese you can find is presliced, simply stack the slices on top of one another, cut into thin strips, then cut strips into small pieces to “shred” the cheese.
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded smoked Provolone cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 1 15-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 5-inch sandwich rolls (or 8 5-inch pieces of French bread), sliced open
Preheat grill to medium high. Combine basil and mayonnaise in small bowl, and set aside. Toss together cheese, beans and onion in medium bowl.
Spread 1 Tbs. mayonnaise mixture on each roll. Divide bean-cheese mixture among rolls. Close sandwiches, spritz with cooking spray and wrap in foil.
Wrap 4 bricks in foil. Place 4 sandwiches on grill, and set bricks on top of each. Grill 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Calories: 189
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 379 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g