Keep a package of prepared polenta on hand so you can put together this speedy warm weather entrée at a moment’s notice.
White Bean Salad
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 19-oz. can white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch scallions (white and light green parts), chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted black olives, such as kalamata (2 oz.)
- 24-oz. log prepared polenta
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high.
Salad: Halve each tomato crosswise and gently squeeze seeds into small bowl. Strain tomato juices into large bowl; discard seeds. Dice tomatoes and set aside.
Add vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper to juices in bowl and mix to blend. Add diced tomatoes, beans, scallions, basil and olives; toss well.
Cut polenta into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices; save remainder for another use. Place slices on baking sheet. Brush both sides of slices with oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Lightly oil grill rack and grill polenta until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Divide bean salad among plates. Top with grilled polenta, garnish with basil sprigs and serve right away.
- Calories: 417
- Carbohydrate Content: 66 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 515 mg