Syrah-Marinated Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Super-tasty (non-boring) grilled protobello burgs
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These savory mushrooms are marinated in Syrah, a medium-bodied red wine, for two hours before grilling. They can be served with a fruity white or full-bodied red wine.
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, gills scraped out
- 2 cups Syrah red wine
- 2 shallots, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (1 tsp.)
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 toasted whole-wheat hamburger buns
1. Poke holes all over mushrooms, making sure not to break them. Place in large glass baking dish.
2. Combine wine, shallots, garlic, peppercorns, and thyme in small saucepan, and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Pour wine mixture over mushroom caps, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate 2 hours.
3. Preheat grill or broiler. Remove mushrooms from marinade, and discard liquid. Grill mushrooms 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and juicy. Serve on buns with burger fixings.
- Calories 166
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 216 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g