Grilled Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde
Juicy, earthy portobello mushrooms make these tacos a mouthwatering treat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Don’t worry if the mushroom caps seem slightly undercooked when you pull them from the grill; leave them out on a plate, and they will continue to cook (this is called carryover cooking).
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps
- 6 6-inch soft corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 tomatillos, chopped (or 1 cup canned)
- 1 large green bell pepper or poblano chile, roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp. organic sugar or agave nectar
- 1 1/4 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. To make Marinade: combine all ingredients in small bowl.
To make Tacos:
2. Brush mushroom caps with marinade. Grill mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cool until easy to handle, then slice into strips.
To make Salsa Verde:
3. Purée all ingredients in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour salsa over mushroom strips, and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Lightly warm tortillas 15 seconds per side in skillet or on griddle. Fill tortillas with sliced mushrooms, avocado slices, tomatoes, and cabbage. Top each taco with sour cream, if using.
- Serving Size 1 Taco
- Calories 278
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 257 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g