Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
In Indonesia, grilled tempeh skewers are sold as street food snacks. Here, we’ve added a sauce that uses the cooking liquid to bring out the exotic flavors of lemongrass and ginger even more.
1. To make Satay Skewers: Place onion, lemongrass, ginger, and garlic in blender; pulse until finely chopped. Add coconut milk, chile sauce, brown sugar, and ½ cup water; pulse until combined. Transfer to medium saucepan.
2. Bring coconut milk mixture and lime peel to a boil over medium heat. Add tempeh cubes, and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let tempeh cubes cool in liquid mixture.
3. Remove tempeh cubes from liquid, and thread on to skewers. Strain liquid, and set aside. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
4. To make Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients with ¼ cup water and reserved coconut milk mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened.
5. Brush Satay Skewers with sesame oil. Grill 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Serve with Dipping Sauce.
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15.5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 92 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g