A light, creamy sauce dresses up marinated tofu cutlets for a dish that could easily be found on the menu of a high-end restaurant. Serve with steamed jasmine rice to add a floral note and soak up all the tasty sauce.
1. To make Tofu Cutlets: Stir together soy sauce, oil, and maple syrup in large baking dish. Add tofu, and marinate 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
2. To make Sauce: Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch asparagus 2 to 3 minutes, or until bright green and just tender. Transfer asparagus to large bowl of ice water to cool. Drain, and reserve asparagus tips for garnish.
3. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat; add leek, and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
4. Blend asparagus, leek, basil, lemon juice, pine nuts, and 1/3 cup water in blender until smooth and creamy. Return to skillet, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Keep warm.
5. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drain Tofu Cutlets, and grill 5 minutes on each side, basting with marinade occasionally.
6. To serve: Spread 1/4 cup Sauce on plate. Place 1 Tofu Cutlet in center of sauce. Garnish with reserved asparagus tips, bell pepper, and pine nuts (if using); drizzle with remaining Sauce.
- Calories 214
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 153 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g