Grilling tomatoes concentrates their sunny sweetness and adds a hint of smokiness, mellowing their acidity.
- 4 small tomatoes, cut into
- 1/2-inch-thick slices (1 lb.)
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 12 slices
- 1 6-oz. ball fresh mozzarella, drained and cut into 12 slices
- 10leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced
1. Preheat grill or grill topper over medium heat. Slice each tomato into 3 ı/2-inch-thick slices. Mince 2 cloves garlic. Combine minced garlic with thyme; set aside. Lightly brush both sides of tomato slices with 1 Tbs. olive oil.
2. Rub grate or grill topper with vegetable oil. Place tomatoes on grill, and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Turn tomatoes over, sprinkle with garlic and thyme mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Grill 3 to 5 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, brush both sides of each bread slice with remaining olive oil. Grill 1 to 2 minutes per side. Rub remaining whole garlic cloves over one side of each piece of grilled bread.
4. Place a grilled tomato slice on each garlic side of bread, and top with cheese and basil. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 393 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g