Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Grilling tomatoes concentrates their sunny sweetness and adds a hint of smokiness, mellowing their acidity.
1. Preheat grill or grill topper over medium heat. Slice each tomato into 3 ı/2-inch-thick slices. Mince 2 cloves garlic. Combine minced garlic with thyme; set aside. Lightly brush both sides of tomato slices with 1 Tbs. olive oil.
2. Rub grate or grill topper with vegetable oil. Place tomatoes on grill, and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Turn tomatoes over, sprinkle with garlic and thyme mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Grill 3 to 5 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, brush both sides of each bread slice with remaining olive oil. Grill 1 to 2 minutes per side. Rub remaining whole garlic cloves over one side of each piece of grilled bread.
4. Place a grilled tomato slice on each garlic side of bread, and top with cheese and basil. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 22 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 393 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g