Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Tostones are slices of green plantains that are usually fried twice to cook and crisp their natural starches. Here, the banana relatives go two rounds on the grill instead of in the fryer, then get topped with a summery relish.
1. To make Relish: Combine all ingredients except corn in medium bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside to marinate while preparing Tostones.
2. To make Tostones: Preheat grill or grill pan over medium heat. Combine chili powder, granulated garlic, and salt (if using) in small bowl.
3. Brush plantains and corn with 2 Tbs. oil, and place on hot grill. Cook, covered, 3 to 5 minutes, or until corn begins to turn dark brown in places. Remove corn to plate; flip plantains, and cook 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer plantains to large baking sheet.
4. Flatten plantain slices with large, heavy drinking glass dipped in water. Brush plantains with remaining 2 Tbs. oil, and return to grill. Sprinkle with chili powder mixture. Grill Tostones 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until browned and crispy. Transfer Tostones to serving platter.
5. Slice kernels off corncob, and stir kernels into Relish. Top each Tostone with 2 Tbs. Relish.
- Calories 385
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 80 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g