To make Parmesan shavings, start with a 4-ounce chunk of cheese. Use a swivel-edged vegetable peeler to shave off attractive curls, letting them fall onto a piece of wax or parchment paper.
- 1 recipe Spicy Yogurt Marinade, this page or Lemon Herb Marinade, this page
- 1 large eggplant, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices, then slices halved
- 2 medium sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, about 1 1/2 lb., cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices (3/4-inch-thick) Italian bread
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 8 cups mesclun greens
- 1 cup Parmesan shavings (2 oz.) or 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Prepare marinade in large shallow bowl. Add eggplant, onions, bell pepper and tomatoes, stirring to coat. Let vegetables marinate 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
Prepare hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high. Set fine-meshed grill rack on top to heat.
Lightly oil grill topper. Grill vegetables in batches until nicely browned and tender, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer vegetables to baking sheet when they are done. Grill bread alongside vegetables until lightly toasted. Immediately rub warm grilled bread with cut sides of garlic and drizzle with a little olive oil.
To make dressing, in small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place greens in large bowl. Add grilled vegetables and dressing and toss well. Divide salad among serving plates and sprinkle Parmesan shavings on top. Serve immediately with garlic bread on side.
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrate Content: 69 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 630 mg