Fresh sage adds delicate flavor to baked goods like this fruit-and-nut-laced bread.
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. instant yeast, such as SAF
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. gluten or dough enhancer, optional
- 2 Tbs. hazelnut oil, plus more for pan
- 1 cup blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Place flour, yeast, salt, and gluten (if using) in bowl of food processor fitted with dough blade; pulse a few times to mix. Pour in oil and 1 1/2 cups water. Let machine run until dough forms clean ball. If dough appears wet and doesn’t easily form ball, turn off machine, and let sit 10 minutes. Process until dough forms clean ball.
2. Transfer dough to floured work surface, and knead in hazelnuts, cherries, and sage. Shape into ball or disk, and place in large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with clean, damp dish towel. Let dough rise in warm spot 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub 9-x-3-inch loaf pan with hazelnut oil.
4. Gently press air out of dough, then shape into loaf. Place loaf in prepared pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool bread before removing from pan.
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 195 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g