Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
A version of this dish is served at M.A.K.E., a Matthew Kenney Cuisine restaurant in Santa Monica, Calif. Baird tweaked the recipe to make it quick as well as nut-free.
1. To prepare Spiced Pumpkin Seeds: soak pumpkin seeds in large bowl of cold water 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to prepare Heirloom Carrots: Thinly slice carrots lengthwise into ribbons with mandoline. Toss with oil, vinegar, and cilantro, and season with salt, if desired. Let marinate 20 minutes.
3. To make Avocado Crème Fraîche: blend all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy, adding 1 to 2 Tbs. water, if necessary.
4. Drain soaked pumpkin seeds, and toss with oil, cumin, salt, and cayenne (if using).
5. Add 3/4 cup Spiced Pumpkin Seeds to Heirloom Carrots, and toss to combine.
6. Spoon 2 Tbs. Avocado Crème Fraîche in center of plate or bowl. Top with 2 cups Heirloom Carrots. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Spiced Pumpkin Seeds and chopped cilantro.
- Calories 446
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 39 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 475 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g