For an hors d’oeuvre version of this dish, stuff button mushrooms with a spoonful of the millet filling, and bake 10 minutes. In addition to saucepan cooking directions, we’re including instructions for cooking millet in a rice cooker, which yields soft, fluffy results.
- 1/3 cup millet
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped button or cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot (1 medium)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh marjoram
- 6 halves or 12 quarters marinated roasted tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
1 | Bring millet, 1 tsp. oil, and 1 cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 to 11 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Alternately, stir ingredients together in bowl of rice cooker, and cook millet according to rice cooker instructions.
2 | Heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add celery and shallot, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in chopped herbs.
3 | Add cooked millet to bowl with mushroom mixture, and stir to combine. Fold in chopped tomatoes, Parmesan,and egg.
4 | Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray
with cooking spray. Arrange portobello mushrooms stem side up on prepared baking sheet, and brush with remaining 2 tsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spoon heaping 1/3 cup millet stuffing into each portobello cap. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until stuffing is heated through and lightly browned on top. Garnish with chopped parsley, if using.
- Calories: 159
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 33 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 130 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g