Serve this elegant mushroom caviar on toast points or thin baguette slices. For a gourmet twist, substitute verjuice for the lemon juice used to deglaze the pan. A sour condiment made from unripe grapes, verjuice is available in specialty stores.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, diced
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 11 to 13 minutes, or until released liquid has cooked off.
2. Deglaze pan with lemon juice, cooking and stirring 1 minute, or until juice has evaporated. Add thyme and garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Stir in parsley just before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories: 48
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 4 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g