Seitan Roast Is the Holiday Feast Centerpiece of Vegan Dreams
Our seitan roast pairs well with all the tasty trimmings of the holiday – and makes great leftover sandwiches, too.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Yes, you can carve a roast this Thanksgiving! Our seitan roast pairs well with all the tasty trimmings of the holiday –and makes great leftover sandwiches, too.
More Holiday Recipes and Ideas from Vegetarian Times
Get more of what you love from VT. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and sign up for our email newsletters.
Holiday Seitan Roast
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 recipe Homemade Seitan or 1 lb. seitan, divided into 2 pieces
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbs. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 oz. baby carrots (11/4 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large parsnip, chopped (4 oz.)
- 12 oz. small purple potatoes, halved
- 2 cups pearl onions, peeled and halved if large
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine salt, pepper, and paprika in small bowl. Rub over seitan pieces.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add seitan, and brown 6 minutes, turning to cook all sides. Remove seitan from pan, and set aside.
4. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan, sprinkle with flour, and reduce heat to medium. Cook 3 minutes, or until smooth roux forms. Add wine, then tomato paste, broth, tamari, thyme, and rosemary; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
5. Transfer seitan to roasting pan. Surround with carrots, celery, parsnip, potatoes, and onions. Pour sauce over top. Cover with foil, and roast 35 to 45 minutes. Remove foil, and roast 10 to 15 minutes more. Thinly slice seitan, and serve with vegetables and sauce.
- Calories 287
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 541 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g