Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
If you like the deep-fried chickpea patties in Mediterranean restaurants, you’ll love this lighter version. Pair them with a crisp, slightly fruity rosé or white wine to complement the dried spices in the mix. Serve with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and warmed pita rounds.
1. To make Falafel: Pulse chickpeas, tahini, egg, lemon zest, cumin, garlic, lemon juice, coriander, chili powder, and salt in blender or food processor until mostly smooth, but still chunky. Transfer to bowl, and stir in flour, onion, parsley, and baking powder.
2. Shape 1/4 cup chickpea mixture into 1-inch-thick patty, and place on platter. Repeat with remaining chickpea mixture. (Falafel patties can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.)
3. Pour enough olive oil into large skillet to have 1/4 inch in bottom. Heat over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan, making sure patties don’t touch. Cook 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined platter to drain. Repeat with remaining patties.
4. To make Yogurt Sauce: Combine all ingredients in serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with warm Falafel.
- Calories 188
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 383 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g