Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This layer cake is a good recipe to try with a floral varietal like lavender or orange blossom because the delicate flavors really come through.
1. To make Almond Cake: Preheat oven to 325˚F. Coat 2 9-inch round pans with oil, and dust with flour. Spread ½ cup almonds on baking sheet, and toast 10 minutes, or until light brown.
2. Chop remaining ¼ cup almonds to a powder in food processor. Combine flour, lemon zest, baking soda, salt, and ground almonds in large bowl.
3. Whisk together egg yolks, oil, and honey in separate bowl. Fold in flour mixture. Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Divide between prepared pans; bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then unmold and cool on wire rack.
4. To make Glaze: Blend Neufchâtel cheese and honey in food processor until creamy. Chill 30 minutes.
5. Place 1 Almond Cake layer on plate, rounded side down, and spread with ¾ cup Glaze. Place remaining layer on top, rounded side up, and spread remaining Glaze over top, letting it drizzle down the sides. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 67 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 222 mg
- Sugar Content 30 g