Honey-Goat Cheese Phyllo Triangles
These crowd-pleasing pastries can be served as an hors d’oeuvre or drizzled with extra honey and sprinkled with chopped nuts for a light dessert. Thaw phyllo overnight in the refrigerator so that it doesn’t dry out. Another trick is to cover the sheets with a damp kitchen towel when…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These crowd-pleasing pastries can be served as an hors d’oeuvre or drizzled with extra honey and sprinkled with chopped nuts for a light dessert. Thaw phyllo overnight in the refrigerator so that it doesn’t dry out. Another trick is to cover the sheets with a damp kitchen towel when you place them on the work surface so they stay moist before using.
- 2 5-oz. logs goat cheese, softened (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup honey, divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, defrosted in refrigerator
1. Beat goat cheese, 1/4 cup honey, egg whites, and salt with electric mixer until smooth. Chill at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Warm olive oil and remaining 1/4 cup honey in saucepan over medium heat until honey dissolves.
3. Place one sheet phyllo on work surface, and brush half with oil mixture. Fold in half lengthwise, and brush top with oil mixture. Fold in half again to make 4-inch strip of dough. Brush strip with oil mixture, then spoon 2 Tbs. goat cheese mixture on corner of bottom edge. Fold corner across to make a small triangle, then fold up like a flag, enclosing goat cheese in triangle of phyllo. Brush both sides of phyllo triangle with oil mixture, then place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining phyllo sheets, oil mixture, and goat cheese mixture.
4. Bake 20 minutes, or until triangles are golden. Transfer to wire rack, and cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 250
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 15.5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 200 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g