- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 16- to 20-oz. can black-eyed peas
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, drain black-eyed peas, reserving liquid. Rinse peas under cold running water, drain well and set aside.
In large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook until onions are golden, about 5 minutes more.
Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme and 1Ú4 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tomatoes have softened a bit, about 5 minutes.
Stir in rice, black-eyed peas, pepper and salt until well combined. Simmer until flavors have blended, 5 minutes. Check occasionally and add a little reserved liquid from peas as needed to keep mixture moist. Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with thyme sprigs if desired.
- Calories: 332
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 191 mg