Huevos Rancheros Quesadillas
Slide fried eggs between tortillas slathered with refried beans, and you get this fun twist on a Mexican favorite that you can eat with your hands. Serve with your favorite prepared salsa.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 6 Tbs. canned refried pinto beans, divided
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- 5 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup chopped jalapeño chiles
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Spread 3 Tbs. refried beans on each of 2 tortillas; leave ¼-inch border.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to bowl, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Add two eggs, cover, and cook 1 ½ to 2 minutes, or until egg whites begin to set up. Flip eggs and cook to desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and set aside. Repeat with remaining 2 tsp. oil and 2 eggs.
- Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and set 1 bean-covered tortilla in skillet, bean-side up. Sprinkle with half of onion mixture, then slide 2 cooked eggs onto tortilla in skillet. Top with ½ cup cheese and 1 plain tortilla. Cook quesadilla 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned on both sides, turning once. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Halve or quarter quesadillas before serving.
- Serving Size serves 4
- Calories 351
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 211 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 629 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g