This delectable Slavic-inspired dish is a snap when made with packaged, shredded mixed cabbage. MEAL PLAN: Accompany this entrée with a salad of romaine lettuce, tomato wedges and sliced carrots, plus some crusty whole wheat Italian bread.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 to 8 links soy "sausage"
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 16-oz. pkg. shredded mixed cabbage
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz. wide egg noodles, yolk-free if desired (61/2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs. poppy seeds, more or less as desired
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for noodles.
Meanwhile, in large, wide skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add soy “sausage,” and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in cabbage and broth. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted and just beginning to brown lightly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
While cabbage is cooking, add noodles to boiling water. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Cut soy “sausage” into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
Drain noodles well. Transfer to large serving dish. Add cooked cabbage, soy sausage slices, parsley, poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Toss gently but thoroughly to combine. Serve hot.
- Calories: 271
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 19 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 497 mg