This well-loved assemblage of lightly cooked and raw vegetables translates literally as “mix-mix.” A colorful combination of wholesome ingredients is arranged on a platter in separate mounds and served with a peanut-coconut sauce.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into
- 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup natural crunchy peanut butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. natural sugar, such as coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. sriracha or other hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 medium red-skinned or golden potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks (2 cups)
- 4 oz. green beans, trimmed (1 cup)
- 2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (2 cups)
- 1/2 medium cucumber, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-circles (1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts
1. To make Tempeh: Heat oil and soy sauce in wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh, and stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp on most sides. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. To make Peanut Sauce: Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl.
3. To make Salad: Place potato chunks in deep skillet with just enough water to keep bottom of pan moist. Cover, and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and steam potatoes 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and rinse under cool water. Transfer to serving platter.
4. Wipe out skillet, and arrange green beans and cauliflower side by side without mixing together. Add more water to pan to keep bottom moist, cover, and steam over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat, then scoop out each vegetable separately, rinse with cool water, drain, and arrange on platter.
5. Arrange Tempeh, tomatoes, cucumber, and bean sprouts on platter.
6. Serve family-style, and pass Peanut Sauce and additional sriracha or hot sauce at the table.
- Calories: 426
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 341 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g