Fresh artichokes and fava beans take time to trim and shell, but they’re well worth the effort when you can find them at farmers’ markets in early summer. Frozen artichoke hearts and fava beans will also work in this recipe when the veggies are no longer in season.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 16 baby artichokes, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup halved red grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
To make Rosemary Vinaigrette: Whisk together lemon juice and olive oil in large bowl. Whisk in onion, rosemary, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
To make Salad: Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fava beans, and cook 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, and rinse under cold water. Drain, and keep warm. Add artichokes and lemon half to boiling water. Simmer 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well. Add artichokes and fava beans to vinaigrette in bowl.
Stir in bell pepper, fennel, tomatoes, and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories: 223
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 13.5 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 290 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g