30 MINUTES OR LESSInspired by the traditional Italian fire-grilled bruschetta with its brush of olive oil and garlic accent, this hearty open-faced sandwich makes a satisfying lunch or dinner entrée, accompanied by a vinaigrette-dressed salad and custard for dessert.
1. Preheat broiler to 450°F. Split baguettes in half lengthwise, and place 4 halves side by side on baking sheet.
2. Combine oil and garlic in mixing bowl, and brush on split baguette halves, dividing equally among each. Place in oven and heat 5 minutes, or until loaves slightly browned and aromatic. Remove from oven, and set on work surface.
3. Spread 2 tablespoons marinara sauce on each half of baguette. Carefully arrange pepperoni slices on each half, dividing them into four equal servings. Sprinkle each half with chopped red peppers, and top with cheese, being sure to cover each half completely.
4. Increase oven temperature to 475°F, and bake loaves about 5 minutes, or until cheese bubbles and browns slightly. Remove from heat, and serve.
- Calories 540
- Carbohydrate Content 62 g
- Cholesterol Content 35 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 1030 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g