In this vegan variation on a French classic, chunks of young jackfruit soak up the savory flavors of a wine-based sauce. Serve over rice, pasta, or potatoes.
- 2 Tbs. vegan margarine, divided
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 120-oz. can young jackfruit chunks in brine, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium portobello mushrooms, diced (2 cups)
- 1 small leek, white part halved and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, diced (11/2 cups)
- 3 small carrots, sliced on bias (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 bay leaf
1. Heat 1 Tbs. margarine and oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add jackfruit, mushrooms, and leek; sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms and leek have softened. Remove vegetables from pot, and set aside.
2. Melt remaining 1 Tbs. margarine in same Dutch oven. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Sprinkle with flour, and stir to coat vegetables with flour.
3. Pour in broth and wine; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add pearl onions, bay leaf, and mushroom mixture to Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Calories: 198
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 286 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g