Pile this spicy jackfruit filling into warmed pitas, and serve with soy yogurt, shredded lettuce, sliced onions and tomatoes, and a dash of hot sauce.
- 1 Tbs. vegan margarine
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 20-oz. can young jackfruit in brine, rinsed, drained, and pulled apart into shreds
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
1. Heat margarine in skillet over medium heat until sizzling. Add onion, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add jackfruit, and cook 20 minutes, or until browned and caramelized.
2. Add broth, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, oregano, soy sauce, and coriander, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
3. Stir in remaining 2 Tbs. lemon juice.
- Calories: 102
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 392 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g