Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray, and preheat.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, cumin, baking soda and salt.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, jalapeño, cilantro, oil and egg yolk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
4. In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
5. Ladle 2/3 cup batter (or amount recommended by manufacturer?s directions for your waffle iron) into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently open lid and remove waffle with fork. Serve immediately or transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time.
- Calories 104
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 124 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g