Jerk seasoning—a combination of thyme, allspice, ginger and dried chiles that can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets—gives this chili authentic island flavor. To protect your hands when mincing Scotch bonnet or habanero chile peppers, slip on a pair of rubber gloves. If you want less heat, substitute jalapeño pepper for the Scotch bonnet or habanero.
- 2 14.5-oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can tomato puree
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 8-oz. pkg. seitan, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. vinegar
- 2 Tbs. jerk seasoning
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. minced Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, or to taste
Combine all ingredients in 4-qt. slow cooker or large pot. Stir in 1/2 cup water.
Cover slow cooker, and cook chili on low 4 to 6 hours. Or, place lid on pot, and bring chili to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, and serve.
- Calories: 216
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 777 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g