Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These savory turnovers can also be filled with drained Callaloo, and the dough is surprisingly easy to make.
1. To make Crust: Combine flour, curry powder, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Add margarine, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ¾ cup cold water; process until dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add tempeh, curry powder, chili powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, if desired, and 1½ cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and cook until liquid has evaporated. Cool, then stir in green onions.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 6-inch circles. Brush edges of circles with water, and place 1½ Tbs. Filling in centers. Fold circles in half, crimping edges with fork tines to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Calories 259
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 328 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g