Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
You can adapt this light, satisfying soup to your schedule. Done in about five hours, it can continue to simmer in the slow cooker up to four hours more without turning mushy. The broth just gets richer.
1. Cut garlic head half through middle to expose centers of cloves. Place garlic in slow cooker. Trim white parts from green onions, and add white parts to slow cooker along with kombu and ginger. Chop green tops of green onions, and set aside.
2. Add tamari, mirin, sugar (if using), and 8 cups water to slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low 4 to 8 hours. Strain, and discard solids. Return broth to slow cooker, add mushrooms and carrots, cover, and cook 1 hour more, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Divide noodles among four large bowls. Top with snow peas, then ladle broth over top. Garnish with chopped green onions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds (if using).
- Calories 282
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 769 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g