Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Similar to a potato pancake, a beautiful beet pancake topped with dilled yogurt sauce makes a great appetizer, or you can serve two or three as a light entrée. The batter will look loose at first, but after a few minutes the pancakes will be sturdy enough to flip.
1. To make Yogurt-Dill Sauce: Whisk together yogurt, dill, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.
2. To make Pancakes: Preheat oven to 250°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, and set aside. Shred beets and carrots in food processor fitted with grating blade, or grate with box grater. Place beet-carrot mixture in large bowl, and toss with garlic and salt. Add egg and egg whites, and mix well.
3. Lightly spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Drop ¼ cup beet mixture into skillet, and flatten slightly to form 3-inch-diameter pancake. Repeat, forming 3 other pancakes in pan. Cook 4 minutes, or until undersides are golden brown. Flip pancakes, and cook 3 minutes more. Respray pan, and repeat process with remaining batter, keeping prepared pancakes warm in oven. Drizzle with Yogurt-Dill Sauce, and serve immediately.
- Calories 44
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 342 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g