Jicama is a round, tan-skinned root vegetable (often found in the exotic produce section of supermarkets, but it isnt usually expensive). It has a crisp, fresh, slightly sweet taste and is a natural with cucumber.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 4 oranges
- 1 large jicama, peeled and julienned (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers, peeled and sliced into rounds (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno chiles (1 red, 1 green), finely chopped
Whisk together lime juice, oil, sugar, salt and hot pepper sauce in large bowl.
Trim peel and pith from oranges. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moons.
Add orange slices and remaining ingredients to dressing. Toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, and chill 1 hour or overnight. Serve on bed of lettuce, garnished with additional orange slices, if desired.
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 155 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g