Debra Allebach, a longtime vegetarian from Cornelius, N.C., loves cooking with farmers’ market produce—especially kale. “I’m known among my friends as a ‘kale connoisseur,’” says Allebach. “I bring different kale creations to all of my potlucks, barbecues, and get-togethers.” She suggests topping this crunchy salad with crumbled goat cheese or feta.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 small shallot, minced
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 large golden beets, peeled and diced (4 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 bunch Tuscan or lacinato kale, stems removed, leaves cut into thin strips (4 cups)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced (1 cup), fronds reserved for garnish
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
1. To make Dressing: whisk together all ingredients, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Salad: Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss beets with oil in bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread beets on baking sheet, and roast, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until tender. Cool.
3. Transfer beets to large bowl, and add kale and fennel. Pour in Dressing, and toss gently until all ingredients are coated. Top with pistachios, and garnish with fennel fronds.
- Calories: 246
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 99 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g