Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Debra Allebach, a longtime vegetarian from Cornelius, N.C., loves cooking with farmers’ market produce—especially kale. “I’m known among my friends as a ‘kale connoisseur,’” says Allebach. “I bring different kale creations to all of my potlucks, barbecues, and get-togethers.” She suggests topping this crunchy salad with crumbled goat cheese or feta.
1. To make Dressing: whisk together all ingredients, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Salad: Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss beets with oil in bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread beets on baking sheet, and roast, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until tender. Cool.
3. Transfer beets to large bowl, and add kale and fennel. Pour in Dressing, and toss gently until all ingredients are coated. Top with pistachios, and garnish with fennel fronds.
- Calories 246
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 99 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g