This is a heartier cold soup than most, thanks to the steamed potatoes and carrots. Serve with dark rye or pumpernickel bread.
- 3 cups plain kefir
- 4 green onions, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 lb. red or boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 oz. carrots (2 medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Persian cucumber or 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup radishes, halved and thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup arugula or radish leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Stir together kefir, green onions, and dill in pitcher or medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill at least 1 hour (or overnight).
2. Steam potatoes and carrots in steamer basket over boiling water 7 to 8 minutes, or until tender, but still firm. Transfer to bowl to cool.
3. Add cucumber, radishes, and arugula to potato mixture. Pour kefir mixture over vegetables, and stir to combine.
- Calories: 89
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 14 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 58 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g