This is a very simple dessert—nothing more than fresh kiwi, oranges and a spiced syrup—but it tastes heavenly.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large oranges, peeled and white pith removed, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 4 kiwis, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 2 Tbs. sliced almonds, toasted
Combine 3/4 cup water, sugar, cardamom, allspice and cinnamon in saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid is syrupy and slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
Put orange and kiwi slices in shallow bowl. Pour hot syrup over fruit. Let cool to room temperature, cover and chill at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours. Sprinkle with almonds, and serve.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sugar Content: 37 g