Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Beautiful beets and crispy chickpeas not only elevate this kale salad, they can be made in advance so you can quickly assemble it when ready. Also on board: carrots, radishes, and nectarines.
Late-Summer Kale Salad
1. Prepare dressing: In a small skillet, combine 1 tbsp oil, garlic and chile powder. Cook mixture on low until sizzling for 30 seconds, then transfer to a glass jar. Add 3 tbsp oil along with remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and shake to combine.
2. Prepare salad: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Toss beets with 1 tbsp oil, ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Spread beets over prepared baking sheet and roast until fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice. (NOTE: If using both red and gold beets, place on opposite sides of the same tray.) Let cool.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF; line a new baking sheet with parchment. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with remaining 1 tbsp oil and ¼ tsp salt. Spread onto prepared sheet; roast until golden and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes, stirring a few times. Let cool.
4. To a large bowl add kale, vinegar and ⅛ tsp salt; massage until kale is very soft. Add carrot, nectarine, radish and 3 tbsp dressing; toss to coat, adding more dressing if needed. Season with remaining ⅛ tsp salt. Top with beets, chickpeas, seeds and cheese (if using) just before serving.
MAKE AHEAD: Make recipe through Step 3 up to 4 days ahead. Store components in the refrigerator until ready to use, and store chickpeas in a jar left slightly open or paper bag at room temperature. Complete Step 4 right before serving. This salad will keep fully dressed in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 331
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 585 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g