What better way to make the most of end-of-summer produce than with a sunny succotash that can also be served cold as a salad? Feel free to use frozen lima beans—simply substitute a 10-oz. bag of thawed frozen beans, and skip step one. If you can’t find white balsamic vinegar, try white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- 2 cups shelled lima beans or 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced (1cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
1. If using fresh lima beans, bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add beans, and blanch 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender but not soft.
2. Heat butter and oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Stir in lima beans, and sauté 5 minutes. Add corn and tomatoes, and sauté 1 minute more, or until heated through, but tomatoes have not released their juices. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley, basil, and vinegar. Serve warm or chilled.
- Calories: 179
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 240 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g